In this month’s podcast, ASCL General Secretary finds out more about Guernsey’s mission to transform education. With 30% of young people educated in independent schools (grant-aided colleges), a decision to move away from selection at 11, the island is now looking to rationalise four state secondary schools into three, to create a dedicated post-16 campus, and in the process to bring a renewed commitment to equity, ambition on educational standards, and new opportunities for staff development.
Here’s Guernsey’s story so far, featuring conversations with:
- Nick Hines, Director of Education
- Liz Coffey, Executive Principal of the Secondary School Partnership
- Martin Haimes, Headteacher, Beaucamp High School
- Jenny Palmer, Principal, Elizabeth College
- Honor and Jonathan, Year 13 students, Elizabeth College